Hubble has spotted an ancient galaxy that shouldn’t exist
This galaxy is so large, so fully-formed, astronomers say it shouldn’t exist at all. It’s called a “grand-design” spiral galaxy, and unlike most galaxies of its kind, this one is old. Like, really, really old. According to a new study conducted by researchers using NASA’s Hubble Telescope, it dates back roughly 10.7-billion years — and that makes it the most ancient spiral galaxy we’ve ever discovered.
“The vast majority of old galaxies look like train wrecks,” said UCLA astrophysicist Alice Shapley in a press release. “Our first thought was, why is this one so different, and so beautiful?”
Read more: here
- *lightbulb flickers while amy’s talking to her makeup artist*
- “at long last, it’s christmas!”
- *lightbulb not fitting at rory’s house*
- “dad, I’m 31, I don’t have a christmas list anymore.”
- *lightbulbs flickering and in the wrong time period*
- “has someone been peeking at my christmas list?”
FUCK FUCK FUCK NO
I just started crying and hugging my sister
I do not
REPEAT DO NOT FUCKING WANT
OH MY FUCKING GOD
Agreed on all counts.
Part two of the DWRR is up!!!
And I love YOUUUU!!!!!!
Don’t worry. I’ll be here with hugs and tissues.